Heritage Sites

10 Oct

Chapel of St Roque, Zebbug

Open first Sundays of the month and by appointment. In 1592 the first bubonic plague epidemic hit the Maltese Islands, probably brought over by the galleys of the Grand Duke of Tuscany. About 3000 people died of this severe disease and a certain Tumas Vassallo and his wife Katarin initiated the...

10 Oct

Delimara Lighthouse, Delimara

The Malta Maritime Authority has entrusted the Delimara Lighthouse to Din l-Art Helwa. This 19th century landmark was constructed by the British Authorities shortly after the building of the Ta’ Giordan lighthouse in Gozo. The restoration is being carried out in two phases. First the entire fabric of the lighthouse is being restored, including damage to the walls, timber apertures, roof...

06 Oct

Historic Garden, Floriana

Formerly known as the Msida Bastion Cemetery, this served as a Protestant cemetery from 1806-56. It was restored over a period of ten years and was awarded the Silver Medal by Europa Nostra in 2002. A small museum was added in 2004. This was the main Protestant cemetery in Malta for about fifty years from 1806. Records show that at least...

06 Oct

Qalet Marku Tower, Bahar ic-Caghaq

This is one of Grand Master de Redin’s watch towers and is situated a few hundred metres from the Ghallis Tower. This Tower, also known as St Mark’s Tower, is probably the third of the thirteen towers built by Grand Master de Redin. The stone work cost 408 scudi and was paid for by the Grand Master. Its construction and history...

06 Oct

Santa Marija Battery, Comino

This battery was erected in 1715 to protect the South Comino Channel. Original 24-pounder cannon are mounted within the perimeter. This battery was erected in 1715 to protect the south Comino channel, and is one of three surviving coastal batteries. It was equipped with two 24-pounder and four 6-pounder cannon. This type of coastal battery was built to resist the disembarkation...