Heritage Sites

06 Oct

Qalet Marku Tower, Bahar ic-Caghaq

This is one of Grand Master de Redin’s watch towers and is situated a few hundred metres from the Ghallis Tower. This Tower, also known as St Mark’s Tower, is probably the third of the thirteen towers built by Grand Master de Redin. The stone work cost 408 scudi and was paid for by the Grand Master. Its construction and history...

06 Oct

Santa Marija Battery, Comino

This battery was erected in 1715 to protect the South Comino Channel. Original 24-pounder cannon are mounted within the perimeter. This battery was erected in 1715 to protect the south Comino channel, and is one of three surviving coastal batteries. It was equipped with two 24-pounder and four 6-pounder cannon. This type of coastal battery was built to resist the disembarkation...

06 Oct

Santa Marija Tower, Comino

Built in 1618 by Grand Master de Wignacourt, it formed part of a system of towers providing defence and communication between the Cittadella in Gozo and Mdina. The Santa Marija Tower on Comino formed part of the early system of towers which the Order set up to facilitate defence and communication between the Cittadella in Gozo and Mdina. It later became...

06 Oct

St. John the Evangelist chapel, Hal Millieri, Zurrieq

In addition to the well documented chapel of the Annunciation and its abutting ruin of the Visitation, the lost medieval hamlet of Hal Millieri, in the outskirts of present-day Zurrieq, had two other chapels. One of these chapels was dedicated to the martyrdom of St John the Evangelist whose feast was held on 6th May, and the other to the...

06 Oct

Ta’ Braxia Cemetery, Pieta

This cemetery lies close to Portes des Bombes in Floriana, and was opened in 1857 when the group of cemeteries close to the bastions in Floriana were full. One of these cemeteries is now known as the Garden of Rest and is also managed by Din l-Art Helwa. The Ta’ Braxia cemetery was designed by Emanuele Luigi Galizia who was only...

06 Oct

QALA BATTERY RESTORATION

See the wonderful work Eric Parnis has been doing at Qala Battery where the reconstruction and restoration is about two thirds complete. The upright masonry is now finished, and built with as much of the original and old stone found on the site saved to be used on the...

06 Oct

Isopu Tower (it-Torri ta’ Isopu), Nadur, Gozo

San Blas Tower, also known as ‘it-Torri ta’ Isopu’, is situated on the cliff between San Blas and Dahlet Qorrot. It was built in 1667 during the reign of Grandmaster Nicholas Cottoner at the expense of the Universita of Gozo. The guns of this Tower opened fire on the French fleet in June 1798, a distinction which no other Tower...