Heritage Sites managed by Din l-Art Helwa

06 Oct

Historic Garden, Floriana

Formerly known as the Msida Bastion Cemetery, this served as a Protestant cemetery from 1806-56. It was restored over a period of ten years and was awarded the Silver Medal by Europa Nostra in 2002. A small museum was added in 2004. This was the main Protestant cemetery in Malta for about fifty years from 1806. Records show that at least...

06 Oct

Qalet Marku Tower, Bahar ic-Caghaq

This is one of Grand Master de Redin’s watch towers and is situated a few hundred metres from the Ghallis Tower. This Tower, also known as St Mark’s Tower, is probably the third of the thirteen towers built by Grand Master de Redin. The stone work cost 408 scudi and was paid for by the Grand Master. Its construction and history...

06 Oct

Santa Marija Battery, Comino

This battery was erected in 1715 to protect the South Comino Channel. Original 24-pounder cannon are mounted within the perimeter. This battery was erected in 1715 to protect the south Comino channel, and is one of three surviving coastal batteries. It was equipped with two 24-pounder and four 6-pounder cannon. This type of coastal battery was built to resist the disembarkation...

06 Oct

Santa Marija Tower, Comino

Built in 1618 by Grand Master de Wignacourt, it formed part of a system of towers providing defence and communication between the Cittadella in Gozo and Mdina. The Santa Marija Tower on Comino formed part of the early system of towers which the Order set up to facilitate defence and communication between the Cittadella in Gozo and Mdina. It later became...

06 Oct

St. John the Evangelist chapel, Hal Millieri, Zurrieq

In addition to the well documented chapel of the Annunciation and its abutting ruin of the Visitation, the lost medieval hamlet of Hal Millieri, in the outskirts of present-day Zurrieq, had two other chapels. One of these chapels was dedicated to the martyrdom of St John the Evangelist whose feast was held on 6th May, and the other to the...