Heritage Sites managed by Din l-Art Helwa

14 Apr

L-Aħrax Tower

L-Aħrax Tower White Tower, Ta’ Ħoslien, Ta’ Eslien, Torre Biancha   by Stanley Farrugia Randon   The L-Aħrax Tower was the sixth tower to be constructed of the 13 towers which Grand Master Martin de Redin ordered to be built from his own expense during the first two years of his brief three-year reign. These are, in sequence North East to...

22 Apr

THE CHALLENGE AND PRIVILEGE OF SAVING OUR LADY OF VICTORY CHURCH

THE CHALLENGE AND PRIVILEGE OF SAVING OUR LADY OF VICTORY CHURCH, VALLETTA a talk by Simone Mizzi The Church of Our Lady of Victory is the oldest church and first building of Valletta and tradition has it that the foundation stone of the capital city lies within its precincts. Since 1998 the voluntary organisation Din l-Art Ħelwa campaigned...

01 Feb

The Church of Our Lady of Victories

The Church of Our Lady of Victories has its own website that can be found here http://www.ourladyofvictory.org.mt/index.html in which a wealth of information can be found about the church. Some of the works that were undertaken during the restoration can be viewed here https://dinlarthelwa.org/?p=4947 And this is some news about the Thanksgiving Mass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE0ZXtRsS2k celebrated by His Grace the Archbishop of Malta on Wednesday 9th December,...

10 Oct

Chapel of Santa Marija ta’ Bir Miftuh

This chapel was built in around 1430 and is one of the best preserved examples of a fifteenth-century parish church in Malta. It has some interesting frescoes and provides the ideal setting for the annual Bir Miftuh music festival organised each spring by Din l-Art Helwa. Open first Sunday of the month 9.30 – 12.00 hrs, and by appointment. This Chapel located...

10 Oct

Chapel of St Roque, Zebbug

Open first Sundays of the month and by appointment. In 1592 the first bubonic plague epidemic hit the Maltese Islands, probably brought over by the galleys of the Grand Duke of Tuscany. About 3000 people died of this severe disease and a certain Tumas Vassallo and his wife Katarin initiated the building of this chapel the same...

10 Oct

Delimara Lighthouse, Delimara

The Malta Maritime Authority has entrusted the Delimara Lighthouse to Din l-Art Helwa. This 19th century landmark was constructed by the British Authorities shortly after the building of the Ta’ Giordan lighthouse in Gozo. The restoration is being carried out in two phases. First the entire fabric of the lighthouse is being restored, including damage to the walls, timber apertures, roof...